In Wild Revolt Against Herself: Why Me?

In Wild Revolt Against Herself

Katie is a 22-year-old living in Los Angeles, CA.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Why Me?

So Friday night I went out to dinner with a friend. She invited a friend of hers, and the plan was for him to stay with us for maybe an hour or so while we waited for our table (we had reservations, but the wait there is pretty horrendous regardless). I don’t know what came over me, but…well, you know how every now and then you meet someone who just really needs to be treated like an asshole? Like, the guy who thinks he can get any woman he wants because he’s dated a lot of actresses or whatever? This was that guy. I was so.bitchy. to him. Plans ended up changing, and he stayed for dinner with us. Now, he was a super prick to me as well, but I gave much better than I got (shocking, huh?)...and I assumed that we just mutually disliked eachother. Afterwards, we all went out to a bar, and we didn’t leave until it closed. All in all, a fun night.

On Saturday, Laura and I went to a Peter S. Beagle book signing, which was wonderful. He read from his new collection of short stories, and I got to talk to him and his manager afterwards. His manager is really, really nice.

Saturday night Mike and I went to a pumpkin carving party (I got third place! Yay!) until like, midnight-ish, then headed out to a cocktail party a friend of his was having. I met some really great people at both…and then yesterday Laura and I went to the mall and just sort of hung out.

So this morning I came in to work, and guess who I had an email from? Yeah, the guy I was rude to all Friday night. I’d given him my card at the beginning of the night because I’m in sales and that’s kind of what you do…but now things that I’d written off as his being an asshole started coming back to me…like when he asked me, “So when we go out together, are you going to be this bitchy to me?” And I’d rolled my eyes and said, “Honey, I can promise you that any time I see you I’ll be bitchy.” …but now I realize he actually meant the “when we go out” part. I had skipped right over that and gone to the "You're a bitch" part.

Since when am I so terrible at reading people? Why would anyone be as much a glutton for punishment as he apparently is? Does he really think I don't know that he's only after me because I'm the one he can't have...and that he'd be bored of it as soon as I caved? I mean, I was bored of it the second I met him (he fed me a cheesy pick-up line about my legs). And how on earth am I supposed to respond to his email?

Ugh.

I hate my life.

2 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like the type of guy who likes to be abused. You could always go for dinner, get a free meal, and then dump coffee on his head. Or will that mean he will propose to you?

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger K.Leigh said...

Damned if I do, damned if I don't, you know?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home